This section is articles from various newspapers I've collected
off the net. Many thanks to those that typed or scaned these in. It's
important to realize that many in the media have great difficulty
explaining the Gatherings to their readers, and many seem to have a
very negative impression of the Gatherings. At the best,. most of
these are slanted, and not very objective. Still, these are
interesting and amusing. A personal favorite is the article about the
For a more "Rainbow Centric" viewpoint, see this collection of
newsletters that get published around the world.
1997 - Second Oregon Gathering
1996 Ozark Gathering
1996 Osceola, FL Regional
This is the regional where the Federal Goverment filed suit against
the "Rainbow Family" for breaking the new group use
regulations. For info on the group use regulations that effectively
make Rainbow Gathering illegal, see this page
1995 - Second New Mexico Gathering
- For those unfamiliar with it, the Rainbow Gathering is basically
just a big campout on National Forest land, with 10-15,000 other
folks, and nobody in charge. No admission fees, no reservations.
- Looking For A New And Different Vacation This Summer? Boy, Have We
Got An Experience For You.
- Locals React To Rainbows
- Local loggers complain about Rainbow Gathering. They'd wanted to
clearcut the site; The Taos News, Thursday, June 22, 1995
- Rainbow Update
- More on the local loggers gripping about the Gathering.
- Forest Hosts Rainbow Family Reunion
- Thousands Unite By Tres Piedras; Albuquerque Journal, 07-01-95.
- Rainbows Get Cozy
- Colorful Crowd Now 8,000-Strong; Albuquerque Journal, 07-03-95.
- People Hand To Hand
- Rainbow Family Circles In Silent Peace Meditation; Albuquerque Journal, 07-05-95.
1994 Wyoming Gathering
Pronoia Tour to US '94
- The Zippy Pronoia Tour rumbled through the Wyoming wilderness to
arrive at the annual national rendezvous of the American Rainbow
- Big Piney Criticizes Law Enforcement
- An article from the Star-Tribune of Casper, Wyoming dated July 10, 1994
"Town says officers overzealous during Rainbow gathering"
Gathering good for business
- Big Piney - Business people in the Big Piney area say the recent annual
Rainbow Family of Living Light gathering was profitable.
- Editorial #1
- Editorial from "Jackson Hole ????" (not News) dated July 6, 1994
"Rainbows denounce big brother - until they need his help, that is"
- Editorial #2
- Op-ed piece from "Jackson Hole ????" (not News) dated July 6, 1994
"Dialectical rainbowism, ideals spawn contradiction"
- End of the Rainbows
- Front page article from Jackson Hole News dated Wednesday, July 6, 1994
"Annual gathering culminates in a communal prayer for world peace."
1992 Colorado Gathering
1991 Vermont Gathering
Gathering of the Tribes
- This was written for a big New York magazine, which
accounts for the somewhat stilted tone. In any case, they decided any
story they did on hippies would have to be "ironic" and decided not to
publish. Too bad, it's pretty good.
1988 - Texas Gathering
- Rainbow clan gets nod for
- A federal judge declares the second attempt by the Forest Service
to enforce the second version of the group use regulations,
1985 - First Missouri Gathering
- Phantom Jets Disturb Peace
- This talks about the local air farce boyz who felt a need to buzz
the gathering. It was incredibly noisy, and made everything shake.
1983 - Michigan Gathering
1981 - Oregon Gathering
1977 - First New Mexico Gathering
1972 - The First Rainbow Gathering, Ever (in Colorado)